Monday 11 February 2013

9/2/13 - Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park

I woke as early as a kid on Christmas Day today. I couldn’t wait to see how deep the snow was and I wasn’t disappointed. NYC got eight inches last night and one has to be pleased with that. We ventured out in our multiple layers for a walk around the Jackie Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park. And it was magnificent. I think the photos clearly reflect the brilliant light and the crisp snow. But I wonder why they would name a reservior after her when everyone knows that she hated all things that retain water!  Perhaps NYers never got over her marrying Onassis.


My thanks to Leon Felton for his water proof shoes recommendation – North Face Gortex rule! I stomped my way thorough ankle deep snow, and by the afternoon, malleolus deep icy slush and my shoes never once missed a beat. Peter’s boots were soaked through and his feet were wet and cold by the time we got home. But not me!! I was dry and toasty.     
For those of you trying to leave a comment – friends who have joined Google are able to comment so perhaps try that for an opportunity to leave your mark!
And now for my ‘US culture’ tip for the day - watch out for Honey Boo Boo! This would have to be the worst show on TV and as it’s gathering momentum here in the US … so it will probably come to Australia soon. ‘Toddlers and Tiaras’ was bad enough but this offshoot is a whole new level of terrible and borders on child exploitation. It is set in redneck rural Georgia and it requires subtitles even though they’re (supposedly) speaking English – well American!
This is the most execrable TV show ever to go to air. Beware … do not under any circumstances search for it on YouTube or Wikipedia … in particular don’t search for for Alana "Honey Boo Boo" Thompson or her mum "Mama", or any of her three half-sisters "Pumpkin", "Chickadee" and "Chubbs"  … all of whom constantly torture their step father "Sugar Bear". Horrible, horrible and “Honey Boo Boo’” allegedly gets paid $50,000 per episode. There is something fundamentally wrong going on here!  

No comments:

Post a Comment