Monday 4 February 2013

29/1/13 – Haircut Day and Day 1 Metropolitan Museum of Art


Oohhh I woke feeling lucky today … so I took the plunge and went for a haircut. I picked a local salon that looked ok and didn’t charge too much – prices here for a style cut are ridiculous and rumour has it that if you don’t tip big the next time your hair gets chopped!! My stylist was a nice girl from Queens with big hair and a voice ‘Nanny (Fran) Fine’ (much affected by chewing gum). Thankfully she who did a great job! 


Went to the gym and then on to the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and did the introductory Director’s Tour Part 1 Highlights of Egypt, Medieval Europe and Renaissance France. It provided an interesting mix of displays and great commentary. I was thinking I could use the Met for interior design ideas for our flat – Peter’s worried ‘cause I was liking the Louis XIV décor. Could be worse sweetheart – you could be getting a sarcophagus!!!


After dinner there was no NCIS on TV so I read the New York Times (it is delivered daily to my iPad!) and learned about Mayor Bloomberg’s record 1.1 billion donation over the years to Johns Hopkins University where he studied. Apparently he wasn’t a great student at school and was grateful (very grateful it appears) for the chance they took in admitting him when his scores weren’t that good but although he showed promise.

In exchange the Medical School there has kept him up to date with current public health research and innovation and it looks like his policies banning smoking in public places like parks and doorways, and laws that enforce the publishing of food components on all packaged food (eg fast foods vendors and deli purchases rather than just supermarket stuff) is paying off. Just look at me all cultured and everything – must be the new hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment